Thursday, January 20, 2011

La Femme Fatale

(Saturday, January 8, 2011)

 "Nice = headache & irritation", quoted strongly by a friend of mine via twitter yesterday, and I agree! Why is that the case?  Why is it that just when you have decided to befriend someone and/or let your guard down, Dr. Jekyll appears?

Society is so quick to gang up against a female deemed "la femme fatale" (the fatal woman), yet the fatal, bitchy females seem to not have it so bad.  Their careers consist of head exec, "The Devil Wears Prada" positions... or some teeny-bopper network gives them their own spin-off show from the reality show that they tormented and terrorized.  Their social life is swarmed with thousands of readers, viewers, social network friends and followers who are dying to hear what the "bitch" has to say next... while their love life is full of alleged grown folks groveling at their feet trying to be the one who finds the soft spot in the wicked witch of the West.

Let's face it, the angry customer gets the store gift card while the customer who decided to let it go gets a "have a nice day", if that even.  Does all of this mean that we should revert to being evil in order to be successful in life?  Will being "the fatal woman" really bring peace and a soul mate?  Ha! I highly doubt it.  I am a strong believer in karma.  The bitch may appear to be living up all of life advantages at the moment, but stands a greater chance of ending up alone and bitter when it's all said and done.  It's just hard to stay away from "your evil side" after your kindness has been tested and taken for granted time and time again.  For instance, you're nice to a guy... you let your guard down... and then in a lot of cases... the guy gets scared of future entrapment or he realizes that he has you and doesn't see much need in continuing all of the nice things that caused you to finally let your guard down .  Sounds like a situation that could make the sweetest of the sweet become fatal.

I'm sorry society, my conscious won't let me commit to "la femme fatale" no matter how hard I try.  If being sweet and nice to someone brings headache and irritation, then take it as your body's way of telling you that they're bad for your health.  I don't know about you, but I like being happy.  My Forensics teacher in high school once told me that everyone has their days, that you never know what struggle and pain someone has endured before they crossed your path that day.  She continued to stress, to learn to let them be instead of adding to their anger to prove a point... mainly because, tomorrow you could be going through the exact same thing.  I'm sure every acclaimed diva, bitch, and femme fatale once was a sweetheart during sometime in their life... but that's just it... how strong are you really if you allow life to replace your halo with devil's horns?  If anything, it takes a more assured person to remain who they are despite everyone else.

As a result, I'll save my femme fatale nature for when it truly matters... Any other time, I am "la bien-aime", the sweetheart ;)


"I've come to believe that all my past failure and frustration were actually laying the foundation for the understandings that have created the new level of living I now enjoy." ~Tony Robbins

No comments:

Post a Comment